.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Visit Freedom's Zone Donate To Project Valour

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Dirty, Dirty Business

I can't imagine why this article caught my eye:
Charles Gerba, a microbiologist at the University of Arizona, collected samples from office buildings in Atlanta, Chicago, New York City, San Francisco and Tucson, Ariz., last fall to determine how much human parainfluenza 1 virus was present. The virus is responsible for common respiratory infections, such as pneumonia and bronchiolitis.

The survey collected samples from common areas: telephone mouthpieces, computer mice, desktops, doorknobs and handles, conference rooms, light switches and office cubicles.

New York -- where half of all office surfaces contained the virus -- was the most virus-laden city, followed by Atlanta, San Francisco, Chicago and Tucson.



Comments:
"New York -- where half of all office surfaces contained the virus -- was the most virus-laden city"

I wrote once that I wish the MTA would give out single-use plastic surgery gloves...I hate holding on to the pole in the train with bare hands. For $2 a trip we should be getting that and more. Yea, I know it sounds impossible, but maybe one day...
 
My wife had a cold a month working in teh office...now that she is in the field she rarely is ill. I work outside and rarely have a cold.
 
Roman Wanderer,
Just being crowded into a train or a plane for too long I think causes the most infection. I've learned that plane trips during flu season are absolutely to be avoided. They say washing your hands before you touch your face can help a lot.

I've also read that some research is being done on various types of platings that are supposed to prevent microbes from being able to survive on those surfaces.

Kender,
There are times when infectious stuff gets in the ductwork of these modern energy-efficient buildings. I think read about one government building in DC that had to be abandoned because of so much sickness among the office workers.
 
I get a cold or the flu or whatever probably every other time we go to the field because it's hard to keep as clean and I sleep with somewhere between one and 150 other people in a tent. In fact, if one doesn't include vaccination reactions, I've never been sick in my adult life except after going to the field in one way or another.

I did once have a recurring allergy working in a particular office building a few years back.
 
RW, I usually tried to never touch the poles or anything in the subway...I'd pull my hand in and use the bottom of my sleeve to hold on, etc... and wouldn't touch the hand rail on the stairwells. At the very least, don't touch your face afterwards until you've washed your hands.

Despite being careful like I am, I have no idea how i got my current bug. I barely get to exit my house these days with this weather. Must have been that darn market.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?