.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Visit Freedom's Zone Donate To Project Valour

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Public Service Message

This poor guy. Southern Dem is a police officer who posts on DU sometimes. So today he posted this message:
A friendly reminder from the Police for this weekend. A lot of people will be celebrating with family and friends this weekend. Some of you will be partaking in intoxicating beverages.

My message is for those that drink... DO NOT DRIVE. If you want to kill yourself go buy a gun. Do not put other peoples lives in danger with your carelessness. Sure, most of the time you make it home ok. You never think its going to be you that gets into an accident. Ever planned on being in an accident? Didn't think so. DO NOT DRIVE. A DUI is not something you want. If you kill or seriously injure someone you will go to prison, not jail.

We will be watching this weekend. In my Department alone there are 75 of us tasked with DUI enforcement this extended weekend. Last year I made 7 DUI arrests in a 2 day period. Want to see how much a DUI arrest effects your life?

Why are we hard on DUIs? Because we have to witness the aftermath. Peoples dead loved ones, dead children and senseless injury. I am tired of dealing with death. It could be my family you run into.

DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE AND WEAR A SEATBELT! WE WILL BE WATCHING!
Quite a few people got really nasty. He got accusations that all police are allowed to drink and drive, etc. A few samples:
Friendly reminders do not have "we are watching" attached to them. I am not for drinking and driving, but I am also not for a police state where the cops feel that they can threaten people and call themselves "friendly" in the same breath. Keep your threats to yourself and do your job.
and:
You are probably right. I have been hearing a lot of "click it or ticket" ads lately, and the police uses the same "friendly reminder" to say they are "cracking down" on seat belt laws. I just do not like the language for these kinds of threats...the whole "Big brother with a friendly face" attitude that accompanies all police states.
and:
Let's put it this way. I am a law abiding citizen, 37 year old father of two children, pay my taxes (and your paycheck I might add).

Everytime I turn on my TV, I have a jack-booted Mass state trooper in my face telling me "forget to wear your seatbelt, and we're taking you down punk!". Fine, get the drunken idiots off the road. But these "freindly warnings" only serve to make law abiding citizens feel like we're living in a fascist police state.
So Southern Dem tries to respond:
Funny, I only get that here.
The "facist police state" thing. Most do not see DUI laws as facist. Friendly reminders do not deter drunks. Some people need consequences.
He does get some support:
Rather than drink and drive, call someone like me.

As my friends and family know, I'm more than happy to come and drive folks home at any time, day or night. Over twenty years without a moving violation and over 15 years without drinking, I once did enough drinking (and driving) to be grateful I survived. There should be enough people who, like me, don't drink anymore and would enjoy doing his bit to make sure a friend or relative doesn't wind up killing someone - even themselves.
but they continue:
It must be a bully thing, to shove people and impose threats and then call it "service".

The irony of you posting that quote is appreciated. Cops that parade around their authority like you're doing, are performing no service except attempting to impose, like a form of intellecual rape, the police state invading a discussion to be a bully.

Take off the uniform before you post, and be a human being, like you will be after you retire, like you were before you became an agent of "the man" and like the rest of us.

Abraham lincoln fought to free slaves, and you're imposing a sort of slave-vibe here with your threats... the irony of you quoting him is really profound... i hope you get that.
and:
I'm sitting here at home, stone sober, reading my favorite BB and some fucking cop comes on here and threatens me ...

"WE ARE WATCHING."

Watch you own self, bub. I was a cop for years and cops are the very WORST at DUI. I've seen them drive when they should've been going to the ER for alcohol poisoning.
So this is my public-service message. If you drink and drive in the south, just remember that you may be facing a police officer who is not only out there working when everyone else is playing, but has also just been called a fascist, a bully, and been accused of intellectual rape. You might want to sit this one out - because he's not going to be in a good mood.


Comments:
And that is why DU and DailyKos and such have the reputations they do.
 
DU is better than DailyKos. But I get your point.
 
It's amazing how stupid people can be. Those who hate people in public service, especially police officers, firemen, and soldiers, are beyond saving. And guess who squeals the loudest when they don't get exactly the help they think they need at exactly the moment they ask for it?

If you'd like to regain a feeling of what real America is like, got take a look at Three Score and Ten. It's wonderful!
 
I agree Tom, they are beyond saving..well, although if you get the chance read the ending to Liberalism is a mental disorder
 
The one's complaining about the police officer are guilt of what he is telling them not to do. I'll bet everyone of them has a DUI on their record and some have probably killed someone in a car crash while Driving under the influence of booze or drugs.
Evidently none of them have seen a infant scrapped off the interstate with a spatula so the survivors could have something to bury. As an EMS member i have seen far too many deaths caused by stupid drunks who usually have no injuries and are staggering around cussing everyone for getting in their way. Before you critize a cop go on the beat and help gather some body parts. Just a few years ago we lost 7 members of one senior class within a month, all in seperate crashes, and all but one death was DUI/Drug involved. Some of you left wing idiots need to get a life or better go out and try and save a life, maybe you'll have a different propective on life. Na, they won't do that, they're too busy sucking the suds, smoking a joint, or sticking a needle in their arm, under their tongue or anywhere to try and hide it. Do i hate lefties, yes, i'm ready for the armed conflict right here in the U.S. Someone should kill all the stupid bastards.
 
Scrapiron - that's a bit much, although this thread made me very, very angry. The thoughtlessness - the disrespect. Do they think the officers want to be out there dodging drunks? My teeth were grinding! I couldn't believe how cool the man kept.

I ended up thinking he was in the right place. You are right - those people needed the warning. Who knows, he might have saved a life.

I sure am tired of idiots. There were some nice people on the thread, though.

Tom - that's a great link, thanks.

"Beyond saving" indeed. If all that was left in the US was these types, we'd be sunk. I live in small-town America, and sometimes I wonder if that isn't our real cultural divide. There are some people who live the old sort of life, and others who just don't seem to care about anything.

They don't seem to be grateful for anything. They don't seem to have any feeling for the life we live in common. They don't realize what people do to give them that life. They think it all happens by itself! It's as if they think we are all just separate atoms or something. Someone gets in your way, just smash him or her.

Darcey, what's "Liberalism is a mental disorder?" Although if this thread embodied liberalism, then I have to agree it is a mental disorder. But old-fashioned liberalism wasn't like this. "Progressives", I am slowly learning, often means extremely selfish people.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?