.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Visit Freedom's Zone Donate To Project Valour

Saturday, June 18, 2005

West Nile Virus

Well, the season is here again. The CDC's maps still show no human cases, but they only report lab-confirmed cases. A Google news search shows that states are beginning to pick up West Nile activity, and the first human case may have popped up in Kansas. Most human cases of West Nile are never reported.

The reason I am watching this closely is because I suspect there is a new form of West Nile in my area. Over the last three weeks, I have noticed a sudden drop in the small bird population where I live. I haven't seen a red-wing blackbird in two weeks, and they were the first to go when West Nile originally hit this area. I had quite of a few ton of bluebirdsAlmost two weeks ago one of the Canadian goslings died (they are wild birds that breed on our property). About nine days ago one of my dogs started running a fever and vomiting, Last week I got a severe headache, a stiff neck and felt very nauseaus for a couple of days, and this morning when I got up I was extremely dizzy. In the last week I have seen a bunch of herons that aren't living here fly in. They must be on the move, and they do move out of areas if they start dying.

The significance is that the dogs and I have already been exposed to West Nile (this is swampland, and the most prolific crop is mosquitoes), and so if we are getting infected now this is a new variant. Furthermore, after two years during which the bird population was recovering, the trend has abruptly reversed.

So my recommendation to you is to be very careful in controlling exposure to mosquitoes this year, especially for children. Of course, whatever is hitting this area could be something totally different - but it is sure having the same effects as the original West Nile outbreak.

I don't know. Maybe next week I'll call the health department and see if they are doing West Nile tests, and call the vet and warn him. Vets are often the first to pick up zoonotic disease outbreaks.


Comments:
Forget calling the health department -- when are you calling your doctor and going in to get checked out?! Or are you and your dog feeling better? How does one take care of someone suffering from West Nile?
 
Funny that you bring this up- here in Raleigh there seems to be a concerted effort this year to control mosquitos.

Seems there is lot bigger fear this year 'whisper,' anyway- and everybody is talking.
 
Esther - there really is no treatment, so I decided to take a nap this afternoon. My headache is somewhat better and the dizziness wore off. I am eating vegetables and taking vitamins, when I can keep them down. The dog got sick before I did, and she seems to be improving.

I really can't go to a doctor - given the applause for Terri Schiavo's "treatment", I am better off with the mosquitos.

SC&A - that's good. Because this is the Atlantic flyway, and whatever's hit this area will be reaching there within a couple of months!
 
Yikes. Well, keep up the vitamins then! We need you around. :)
 
Boomr, thanks for the tip. Blue is my favorite color!

The horseradish is making me a walking can of mosquito repellent though.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?