.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Visit Freedom's Zone Donate To Project Valour

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Religiously Offended

Oookay, it turns out that the man whose religious feelings were so deeply offended at the Danish cartoons of Muhammed that he dressed as a suicide bomber and pranced around London was arrested. And it turns out that he was convicted in 2002 for having crack cocaine "with intent to supply", and is still on probation after his early release from jail. So now he is singing a slightly different tune, because he is up for a probation review.

I think his official statement here makes a great deal of sense:

He said: "I found the pictures deeply offensive as a Muslim and I felt the Danish newspaper had been provocative and controversial, deeply offensive and insensitive.

"Just because we have the right of free speech and a free media, it does not mean we may say and do as we please and not take into account the effect it will have on others.

"But by me dressing the way I did, I did just that, exactly the same as the Danish newspaper, if not worse.

"My method of protest has offended many people, especially the families of the victims of the July bombings. This was not my intention.

"What happened in July was a tragedy and un-Islamic. I do not condone these murderous acts, do not support terrorism or extremism and would like to apologise unreservedly and wholeheartedly to the families of the victims."

I find it very offensive when people burn down embassies. I find it highly insensitive, provocative and controversial. Also lies in the mideast press about Jews chopping up gentile children for their blood to celebrate Passover deeply offend my religious sensitivies. See, God came up with this strict, strict statement about "Thou shalt not bear false witness." It also offends my religious feelings that three people in Saudi Arabia holding a private Christian prayer service in a private house can be arrested and jailed. I am mortally, mortally offended by this.

Unfortunately, my religion says I'm not allowed to burn anything down when I'm offended. On the other hand, it does allow for telling the truth even when it's utterly offensive.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?